CENTRAL ILLINOIS POLICE TRAINING CENTER
Michael J. Oyer, Director
Illinois Central College-North Campus-Poplar Hall
5407 N. University Street P100
Peoria, IL 61635-0001
Phone: (309) 690-7350
Fax: (309) 690-7359
Jean Swan: email@example.com
Heather Grove: firstname.lastname@example.org
Communication Excellence in Law Enforcement
Instructor: Brian Polansky;
Polansky & Associates,
February 6, 2018
8am – 4pm
Class will meet in our classroom (above)
Enrollment Deadline: January 30, 2018
Course Size: Minimum -15, Maximum – 64
This one-day seminar focuses on the central role of effective speech communication in achieving professional law enforcement objectives.
Participants will identify the necessary skills for developing Communication Excellence and learn how to practice Strategic Interaction to facilitate Voluntary Compliance. Emphasis is given to specific strategic interaction techniques that will ensure officer safety, reduce citizen complaints, and enhance participant’s professionalism.
- Recognize the central role of Speech Communication in Law Enforcement
- Identify how the Principles of Counseling Psychology, Persuasive Interaction, and Human Motivation contribute to an understanding of Professional Excellence
- Understand how Classic Theories of Human Behavior can be applied to the Goals of Law Enforcement
- Develop an appreciation of the Power of Words to facilitate Voluntary Compliance from others
- Identify the Central Principles of Dealing with Difficult People
- Practice the Great Communication Arts of Strategic Interaction
- Effectively Respond to Emotional, Manipulative, and Difficult People
Dr. Brian Polansky is an award-winning educator, speaker, and author of education programs designed to encourage professional success through Communication Excellence.
After completing a Doctorate in Communication Studies at the University Of Kansas, Dr. Polansky joined the faculty of the University of Arkansas-Little Rock. Since 1993, he has provided communication education and curriculum development to law enforcement agencies including the FBI National Academy, the Law Enforcement Management Institute of Texas, International Association of Police Chiefs, and numerous police academies, associations, and leadership schools throughout the United States.
Dr. Polansky is president of Polansky & Associates and is in constant demand to present professional development seminars to a wide variety of professionals in law enforcement.
Popular seminar topics include
Leadership & Communication Excellence, Persuasive Skills, Verbal Fitness, and Ethics & Excellence in Law Enforcement.
Course Certification Information
MTU 7 request for certification of this course has been approved by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board Mobile In-Service Training Team #7 Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board
Meets mandatory guidelines set for the following: Civil Rights, Procedural Justice, Cultural Competency and Use of Force (with scenario based training)